Presidential Candidate Information for the Upcoming 2020 Election

Karla Castillo, Staff Writer

Fall 2020, the fight for the presidency of the United States of America is at stake. The presidential run contains approximately 20 democratic runners and three republicans. Getting a spot in the race will be very tough for all of the candidates. Only one will be able to claim the spot of their party, and compete in the main election in November.

Here is a list of all of the candidates: 

( bold is for democrats and italics is for republicans)

• Michael Bennet – U.S. Senator from Colorado
  • Joe Biden – Former Vice President
  • Cory Booker – U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Steve Bullock – Governor of Montana
  • Pete Buttiegieg – Mayor of South Bend, Indiana
  • Julian Castro – Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
  • Bill de Blasio – Mayor of New York City
  • John Delaney – Former U.S. Representative from Maryland
  • Tulsi Gabbard – U.S. Representative from Hawaii
  • Kamala Harris – U.S. Senator from California
  • Amy Klobuchar – U.S. Representative from Minnesota
  • Wayne Messam – Mayor of Miramar, Florida
  • Beto O’Rourke – Former U.S. Representative from Texas
  • Tim Ryan – U.S. Representative from Ohio
  • Bernie Sanders – U.S. Senator from Vermont
  • Tom Steyer – Founder of Faralion Capital Management
  • Elizabeth Warren – U.S. Senator from Massachusetts
  • Marianne Williamson – Self- help author
  • Andrew Yang  – Founder of  Venture for America

• Donald Trump – U.S. President
  • Joe Walsh – Radio host and former U.S. Representative from Illinois
  • Bill Wield – Former governor of Massachusetts

All of these candidates have very strong platforms in today’s very hot topics and controversies. Many of which involve immigration, climate change, gun control and many other topics. If you’re interested in hearing the democratic candidates debate on these and many more topics.

The current front-runner of the democratic race are Joe Biden and and Elizabeth Warren. While Biden’s campaign is currently being rocked with accusations of scandal, he is running on a platform that supports boosts in teacher pay, gun control measures, increased taxes on the wealthy, student loan forgiveness and decriminalization of marijuana at the federal level. Warren’s voting history shows she supports increased taxation on the wealthy, an increase in minimum wages, strengthening our trade laws, reducing interest rates on student loans and investing in renewable energy. The candidate showing third in the polls is Bernie Sanders. Sanders is a self-described democratic socialist, with aims to boost teacher pay, set up tuition-free college, introduce campaign finance reform, create environmental regulations to combat global warming and increase taxes on capital gains. 

It appears that the republican party will put all its weight behind incumbent president Donald Trump. While the democrats gear up to take him on, the current administration is putting out metaphorical fires concerning a scandal involving Ukraine. Donald Trump’s campaign, as it stands today, supports a crack down on illegal immigration with the intention of building a wall along the Texas-Mexico boarder, believes in upholding the 2nd Amendment with no change in the current regulations, and changing current import/export tax agreements with trading partners such as China.

The 2020 Presidential Elections will be held on Tuesday, November 3, 2020. It is important that if you are 18 or older you register to vote. It is a way of letting the government know what it’s own citizens want them to do for the country and you are also exercising the 15th Amendment. So please if you haven’t registered to vote yet, go do it. Your vote can make a difference in this country!

Photo by Element5 Digital from Pexels