Fireworks: Fun or Hazard?

Jonathan Keller

Jeremiah Bailey, Staff Writer

Fireworks are a great way to celebrate things like 4th of July and New Years, though they can also be harmful to you and others when used incorrectly. Just messing around with fireworks even as a joke can cause serious harm. People should leave the pyrotechnics to the professionals. 

On Jan.8th 2020, two students at Klein Forest Highschool set off fireworks in the school cafeteria we are fortunate the injuries sustained were minor,” said Harris County Fire Marshal Laurie L. Christensen in an interview with KPRC 2 News. Four students suffered minor injuries — two hurt by the firework going off and two hurt as they tried to run. NonProfessionals sometimes don’t understand the dangers of playing with fireworks or, like many teenagers, feel they are invincible and end up taking risks that can harm themselves or those around them.

The damage of fireworks doesn’t end with it harming us it’s also harming our environment. Fireworks cause extensive air pollution in a short amount of time, leaving metal particles, dangerous toxins, harmful chemicals and smoke in the air for hours and days. 

Now people who believe that fireworks cause no harm might say that they are careful and that they’re a great way to celebrate. And that is because they don’t know the effect it has on them, others and the environment.

The whole point of fireworks is to have fun and celebrate, but not if it causes harm to others and the planet we live on.