Coronavirus Changes The Way We Learn

Waking up at the crack of dawn to get ready for the school day, students either stay home using their computer or head to school to start the day, getting used to the new reality. 

Since the beginning of 2020, COVID-19 has impacted the education system and the way of teaching. This has led to having many schools use different methods of teaching to help control the spread of the virus. At Cypress Lakes High School, students and parents have the option to choose to do online or in-person classes.

Senior Bethany Pabon decided to do in-person classes for the school year instead of online classes because she wanted to be more interactive with students.

“I decided to do it in-person because I can’t stand just sitting in my room looking at a computer all day. I need to have interactions with people,” Pabon said. “Kids who do online school don’t have a higher chance of catching COVID than us on campus since we have to be close to people when we walk the halls or when we’re talking to our friends, but school-wise it’s pretty much the same here at school. We still have to do our work online. The only difference is we don’t have to join a zoom call.”

On the other side of the screen, senior Clara Kinard decided to do online classes for the beginning of the school year for safety from being exposed to the virus. 

“I choose to do online classes because of corona because I don’t want to get sick if other people are still getting sick and it makes me worry that there are so many people at school anyone can get sick,” Kinard said. “The difficult part about online school is that sometimes you don’t always get help when you need it you have to wait.”

To help keep students and faculty from being exposed to the coronavirus at Cypress Lakes, Principal Lanette Bellamy along with the admin team have taken action to prevent the spread of the virus.  

“We follow all the safety protocols that the district has outlined for us. All students and staff wear masks. We encourage regular hand washing and have sanitizer throughout the campus. Additionally, any person showing signs of Covid 19 is required to be evaluated by Health services,” Bellamy said.

Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District provides updates to the community via communications, as well as updating information on the Coronavirus update page on their website. There, students and parents are able to see the reported cases in the schools within the district as well as how to get tested.  

“If a positive case is reported, our community is notified and close contacts are identified in order to be quarantined. Our students and staff are doing a great job of adhering to all protocols,” Bellamy said.

For more information on COVID -19 protocols at Cypress Lakes Highschool, visit https://www.cfisd.net/en/lead-safely-2020-21